Re: [OM] OT tethering - was RE: [OT] iPad recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] OT tethering - was RE: [OT] iPad recommendations
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:35:34 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Braun [mailto:cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> JK writes:
> It seems that many US carriers want to charge extra to enable tethering.
> www.junefabrics.com has a nice almost free alternative. It works quite
> well
> with Android, enough so that I discontinued my data connection card in
> my
> laptop. (You can talk on the phone and web surf simultaneously).
>
> Specifically for iphone: http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

The problem with the iPhone version is that it requires you to jailbreak
your phone.
--
Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

I hadn't read through the iphone instructions. That is unfortunate. With an
android phone PDAnet is very quick and painless to install. I'm sure none of
the carriers want to have customers canceling their data card connections.
Hopefully vendors don't start trying harder to lock up their versions of
android.

Because of the absurd fees my carrier wanted for providing computer
connections I found PDAnet before buying the phone.

Jeff Keller