Re: [OM] GH2 specs! wow!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] GH2 specs! wow!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:01:24 -0400
After skimming over the JPEG-2000 article on Wiki I was led to wonder if
the real impetus for the standard has more to do with reliable and
efficient internet transfer of images than with a better way to store
them.  Attention is given to a roughly 20% reduction in space but also a
greater resilience to bit errors in transmission.

I don't know about JPEG but certainly some lossless compression methods
might easily reproduce total garbage on a single bit error.  Having
coded and tested some of them I'm keenly aware of their shortcomings.

Chuck Norcut