Re: [OM] (OM) A few photos of early Spring flowers (Brian Swale)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) A few photos of early Spring flowers (Brian Swale)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 03:24:29 +1200
One of the things I wanted to test with these shots was how images worked
with the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro set at f/22.

I wanted to see
(a) if I could get ALL PARTS of each these flowers in focus.
(b) whether or not there would be significant image degradation at f/22
compared with smaller f-stops.
(c) whether or not the out of focus parts would look really ugly.
(d) how much in focus the parts of the images behind the flowers would be.

What I think these images show is
(a) f/22 gets all parts of those flowers in focus
(b) if there is image degradation at f/22 it is minor
(c) the out of focus parts do not look really ugly
(d) yes, some parts that were close in distance (eg with the irises) were
surprisingly in focus.

One or two people (not zuikoholics) wrote saying how the flowers in the
quince shot really *popped* out of the overall image.

I also draw to attention to the fact that there was *no* direct sunshine while
took these shots. There was heavy cloud cover; heavier than I preferred.
However, I seem to be getting better at manipulating the controls on the E-3
so as to cope with such changing conditions.
Just as with a full-frame (120) film camera with dark slide there is a routine
you go through ... calculate exposure and decide on the specific settings you
are going to use from the multiple choice ... set these ... compose and focus
... remove dark slide  ... trip the shutter ... replace dark slide  ... wind
the film
to the next exposure setting .. pack up

With digital it is necessary for each such shot to ... decide white balance and
set  it ... decide the asa rating to use ... decide on the depth of focus you
want ... look for highlights in the image and work to avoid them ... look for a
lighting angle that emphasises specific details ... if necessary, focus on a
specific part of the image and swivel the camera on the tripod to apply that
setting to the whole shot ... decide whether or not you will apply a delay in
the shutter and do it ... press the shutter  ... wind on  (oops - wrong camera)

:-) ... take the lens hood off and put the lens cap back on.

Brian Swale.