Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 06:07:57 -0700
Hi Chuck,

I use a system based on Insteon units from http://www.smarthome.com. There
are both plug-in and wire-in units available to do all sorts of things, as
well as a variety of hardware system controllers and/or software. The nice
thing about them is that the units remember settings and thus power-failures
are not an issue.

Since the house they are supporting is in Mexico, 5 gours+ away by car, and
it's typically pretty hot this time of year, it's nice to be able to kick on
the air-conditioner via web-browser before we leave the states, and have
things cooled down by the time we get there. The system also controls
sprinklers and all sorts of lights for us.

You can think of these things as super X-10 units. Communication is over the
power lines, each unit is separately addressed. Wire-in units co-exist fine
with existing wiring.

---
Scott Gomez