[OM] So I finally tried an E-P2...

Subject: [OM] So I finally tried an E-P2...
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:16:01 +0200
I have been holding out for a while. I have been secretly hoping that
Olympus has been
refining this camera (the concept of which is very appealing). I was
wondering whether this
might be the digital system for me.

What a disappointment! The shocking light-as-a-feather plastic build
quality was actually
not the worst. Nor was that ridiculous all-plastic extending kit lens
with the flimsy switches.

No - the worst of it all was that electronic viewfinder. I had high
hopes - after reading some
reviews - that this viewfinder (which could - after all - be made as
large as they could have wished,
unconstrained by the need for glass prisms, etc) could be something
special. Perhaps in low light even.

Instead, one is presented by a low-resolution, "chunky", dimensionless
image ridden with electronic
noise. In no light whatsoever (I tried it in bright or in dark light)
does this viewfinder even closely
compare to an OM-1 or OM-3Ti viewfinder, in fact, I was simply
disgusted. I politely handed back the
camera to the shop that let me try it out, safe in the knowledge that
I would never, ever even consider
buying that little plastic contrivance as a tool for photography. Yes,
the resulting image can be quite
good.

But oh my, what a nasty experience it must be making those images (I
only made a couple of silly test shots).

Perhaps I have simply been spoiled by the responsiveness, clarity,
"extension-of-one's-hand" that an OM body
offers. Or the small size, and the build quality of the lenses. But
I'm glad this is settled now _ I always
wondered whether I'd like M4/3 for day-to-day usage.

Hell no.