[OM] My, how times have changed . . . Digital

Subject: [OM] My, how times have changed . . . Digital
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:26:49 -0700
  The announcement of the Canon S95 set me thinking, for some reason, of my
first digital camera. A fair amount has
changed in 9.5 years. :-)

No, I didn't pay $600 for the S110, but I think I may have paid a bit more for
it than the list price for the S95.

(This table, adapted from Dpreview, is designed to be viewed with a fixed width
font, like courier, and it may wrap and
look funny if your viewing window isn't wide enough.)

                        Canon PowerShot S110                Canon PowerShot S95

                        Announced 10-May-01                 Announced 19-Aug-10
MSRP                   $599                                $400
Max resolution         1600 x 1200                         3648 x 2736
Low resolution         1024 x 768, 640 x 480               3648 x 2736, 3648 x
2432, 3648 x 2048, 2816 x 2112, 2816 x 1880,
                                                            2816 x 1584, 2736 x
2736, 2192 x 2736, 2112 x 2112, 1920 x
1080,
                                                            1600 x 1064, 1696 x
2112, 1200 x 1200, 960 x 1200, 640 x 480,
                                                            640 x 424, 640 x
360, 480 x 480, 384 x 480, 320 x 240
Image ratio w:h        4:3                                 4:3, 3:2, 1:1,
4:5,16:9,
Effective pixels       1.9 million                         10.0 million
Sensor photo detectors 2.1 million                         10.4 million
Sensor size            1/2.7 " (5.27 x 3.96 mm, 0.2 cm²)   1/1.7 " (7.60 x 5.70
mm, 0.43 cm²)
Pixel density          9 MP/cm²                            23 MP/cm²
Sensor type            CCD                                 CCD
ISO rating             100                                 Auto, 80, 100, 125,
160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500,
                                                            640, 800, 1000,
1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200
Zoom wide (W)          35 mm                               28 mm
Zoom tele (T)          70 mm (2 x)                         105 mm (3.8 x)
Digital zoom           Yes, smooth to 4 x                  Yes, 4x
Image stabilization    No                                  Yes, Lens
Auto Focus             AiAF TTL 3-point                    AiAF TTL
Manual Focus           No                                  Yes
Normal focus range     57 cm                               50 cm
Macro focus range      10 cm                               5 cm
White balance override 5 positions                         7 positions plus
manual
Aperture range         F2.8 - F4.0                         F2.0 - F4.9
Min shutter            1 sec                               15 sec
Max shutter            1/1500 sec                          1/1600 sec
Built-in Flash         Yes                                 Yes, Pop-up
Flash range                                                6.5 m
External flash         No                                  No
Flash modes            Auto, Fill-in, Red-Eye, Off         Auto, On, Off,
Red-Eye, Slow Sync
Exposure compensation  -2 to +2 EV in 1/3 EV steps         -2 to +2 EV in 1/3
EV steps
Metering               Center Weighted                     Evaluative, Center,
Spot
Aperture priority      No                                  Yes
Shutter priority       No                                  Yes
Manual                 No                                  Yes
Lens thread            No                                  No
Continuous Drive       Yes, 2 fps, max 10 images           Yes, 0.9 fps
Movie Clips            Yes, 20 fps, max 4/10/30 sec, audio Yes, 1280 x 720
(24fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)
Remote control         No                                  Unknown
Self-timer             Yes, 10 sec                         Yes, 2 or 10 sec,
Custom
Timelapse recording    No                                  Unknown
Orientation sensor     No                                  Yes
Storage types          Compact Flash (Type I)              SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC,
MMCplus, HC MMCplus card
Storage included       8 MB CompactFlash
Uncompressed format    No                                  Yes, RAW
Quality Levels         Super-Fine, Fine, Normal            Fine, Normal
Viewfinder             Optical (Tunnel)                    None
LCD                    1.5 "                               3 "
LCD Dots               117,000                             461,000
USB                    USB 1.0 (1.5Mbit/sec)               USB 2.0 (480Mbit/sec)
HDMI                   No                                  Yes
Battery                Lithium-Ion NB-1L & charger         Lithium-Ion NB-6L
battery & charger
Weight inc. batteries  250 g (8.8 oz)                      195 g (6.9 oz)
Dimensions             87 x 57 x 27 mm (3.4x2.2x1.1 in)    100 x 58 x 30 mm
(3.9x2.3x1.2 in)
Notes                                                      Features a Lens
Control Ring that enables control
                                                            of camera settings
such as exposure compensation.