Re: [OM] DoF Compared

Subject: Re: [OM] DoF Compared
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:25 -0400
I'm afraid I'm not yet convinced.  There are two compounding factors not
controlled for.

The first is the performance of the lenses at f/4... an aperture much
more easily handled by the 4/3 lens which should be designed to shoot
high quality images at a couple of stops wider than the Zuiko 24/2.8.

The second is the focusing accuracy achievable at 5 meters.  By your
calculations, DoF extends to 10.3 meters which implies using a CoC of
0.015mm.  But that's at f/4.  Presumably you were focusing at f/2.8 with
the Zuiko and probably about f/3.2 with the zoom (which has an aperture
range of 2.8-3.5).  Since you're using a magnified image for focusing
I'll allow that the effective CoC is cut in half and tightens up to
0.0075mm.  That would allow your actual focus at f/3.2 to be as far away
as 8.5 meters instead of 5 meters and still not detectable to the eye.
Then, when the CoC is relaxed back to 0.015mm and f/4 taking aperture
the far DoF can extend all the way to 70 meters.

I'm not saying that's what happened but I don't think you can say with a
very high degree of certainty that it didn't.

Chuck Norcutt