[OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2

Subject: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:45:45 -0400
Edisonian approach Schnozz says:

Instead of just speaking out of my rump, over lunch I did some
testing. Will look at the results tonight.

I've got a plan on how to go about this....

It was a landscape scene.

AG

Great--look fwd to this.  My impression when bracketing shots
benefiting from larger dof that the stopping down trumps the
diffraction softening except in the extreme case.  Not sure can prove
it mathematically.   Using the Z 135 macro at  f45 has led to soft as
mush shots though can't exclude other issues.  Focus stacking is one
solution  or using the Mirex gizmo and tilt.

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/light.htm#3

AG had posted this reference as the "the whole enchilada"---I believe a
cogent unified field theory is embedded in this tome somewhere.
To quote him:

"So, while for the same perspective, framing, and f-ratio, larger
sensors do have a more shallow DOF, one needs only stop down to get a
deeper DOF, keeping in mind that, for a given pixel count, the effects
of diffraction softening are the same across formats at the same DOF,
not the same f-ratio, and that while more pixels do result in the
ability to resolve more detail, it is a negligible difference at
"diffraction limited" f-ratios.  Even in a limited light situation
where the shutter speed needs to be maintained and the larger sensor
system will have to up its ISO accordingly, the apparent noise will be
the same for the same level of detail if the sensors of the two systems
have the same efficiency.

However, for the extreme end of the deeper DOFs, the lenses for smaller
sensor systems will often, but not always, be able to go deeper.
However, at such DOFs, the effects of diffraction softening will be
severe (although not necessarily apparent for images resized for web
display)."

However a newer generation smaller format sensor cam may have a sensor
of greater efficiency than the current FF model.
The slower zooms can be smaller though  narrow dof can be more
difficult and faster glass very expensive .  I wonder if the sensors
generally have the same efficiencies then the no free lunch principle
is valid and the format makes little difference everything else being
equal. (quite an "if")

A liking  to have his cake and eat it too with a Mirex T-S adapter,
Mike