Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 09:40:04 +0100
  Chuck, I agree with you.
I take many landscape shoots and insides of large rooms/temples etc.
I made the decision that I had to go full frame when I went digital for
two reasons,

firstly all other things being equal the pixel pitch on a full frame
camera is less than on a smaller sensor camera and so this puts less
strain on the lens, by 22MP full frame only the best lenses run at
optimal appetures are going to deliver 22MP of real resolution. If you
look at the lens reviews on DP review many full frame lenses can do 22MP
(just) smaller sensors can't deliver anything close to that with any
lens in any situation because they put so much strain on the lens. You
can see the clearly in the DP review graphs, regardless of if it is a
dedicated crop leans or a full frame lens used on a crop camera. The
limit is the lens resolution for non full frame by about 16MP. If you
look at the non full frame graphs closely, if a lens is not very very
good at f4 then the resolution does not usually improve much stopping
down since diffraction is about to become a problem and by f8 the
quality drops. This means that good non full frame lenses have to be
very very good wide open especially if they are f4 to begin with, f5.6
lenses on a non full frame are diffraction limited before you even stop
down...

Secondly I need wide and super wide angle, I have been to temples in
china where there are 3 or 4 storey high Buddas inside a tower and there
is simply no space to get much distance between camera and statue. In
such cases a true 16mm just about gets it all in. Outside the temple the
Olympus 24mm and 35mm shifts are used often and I need them to be 24mm
and 35mm.

If I was a street photography person (which I am not) or a portrate
person I can see the 7D being attractive.
Regards
James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo