Re: [OM] OT - American railways

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - American railways
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:17:10 -0700
> From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Seen here http://tinyurl.com/3xnfcq3 is an article from this week's
> Economist magazine that might be of interest.

Looks like anti-public-transport, free-market-at-all-costs propaganda
to me.

Some of the commentators seem to have more insight than the article's
author.

I'm no expert, but having lived in Switzerland, I just don't buy the
article's opening jingoistic premise: "America’s system of rail
freight is the world’s best."

 From the commentary, it would appear that the US rail freight system
is the best in the world for transporting coal from the west to the
east. But why are all these semi-trucks on the road, using ten times
the mass*distance fuel as rail?

Take away the trucking industry subsidies and price fuel like it is in
the rest of the world, and real rail freight will take off. That's the
"free market" way!

FDA assertions that raw milk is "inherently dangerous and should not
be consumed" serve as a smoke screen for legislation that helps
centralize the dairy industry and eliminate competition from small
independent farmers. -- Ron Schmid