Re: [OM] for the resident grammarians/English-defenders, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] for the resident grammarians/English-defenders, etc
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:27:09 -0700

> Unfortunately, the senator is in a company way too numerous in the USA....

More than just "unfortunate" if they are running the country. We have
our share around here too.

http://www.islandguardian.com//features/archives/00000861.html

> Like so many other things involving our "beginnings" it's a nice theory.

It isn't a theory at all, at best it's a hypothesis and a wacko one at
that. The term 'theory'  refers to a scientific hypothesis that has
undergone rigorous testing to the point that any reasonable person would
accept its basic truth. Sure there may be some disagreements and details
to work out but basically it is accepted fact. That's how science works.

The popular non-scientific meaning of the word 'theory' is something
that is conjectured but not proven. Religious nut cases fail to make
this important distinction and so improperly label their beliefs as a
'theory'. Their only evidence, a book of dubious origin.

Mike