Re: [OM] External Hard Drive Enclosures

Subject: Re: [OM] External Hard Drive Enclosures
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:27:19 -0400
The Rosewill brand is Newegg's in-house brand name.  I have several
Rowsewill products.  Off the top of my head all I can think of are two
adapter cards that I needed since my Dell XPS 410 didn't provide the
functions.  Both simply installed easily and worked as advertised.  One
adds a pair of parallel ports to run my old Brother laser printer and
the second adds two external SATA ports for attaching my external SATA
backup drives.  For the backup drives I use both external enclosures as
well as the Thermaltake BlacX eSATA docking station.  The docking
station is an open design and needs no fan.  The external enclosures are
aluminum and don't have fans either but they're only used for backup and
never run more than about 1 hour at a time max.  They get pleasantly
warm to the the touch but never hot.  Stay with SATA or eSATA for
performance much better than USB.

I think highly of Newegg and their Rosewill products but, as with
anything you buy from Newegg you can always check the user reviews
(while keeping in mind that most folks don't report "no trouble found")