Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:30:46 -0700
  On 7/14/2010 12:06 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
> Brings back memories...
> my first commercial flight (from Kansas City to Chicago) was in one of those.
> Must have been about 1950.

As was mine, although I was younger. In 1951, I flew with my father from
Raleigh to the SF bay area. First leg, Raleigh
to DC, was in a DC3. I was excited and thought it was pretty cool at first,
until we started flying through
thunderstorms. Sick?! Oh my.

Just got sort of steadied down and we headed for Chicago on a TWA
Constellation. I don't know if they all did it all the
time, but this one sort of porpoised through the skies, leaving me queasy again.

Fog in Chi Town, so we landed in Akron and stayed overnight. Very cool for a
six year old, limo to a real hotel, both
new to me. Then breakfast at the Purple Cow coffee shop in the hotel, complete
with cut out sign of a purple cow jumping
over the moon. Dad even let me have a Purple Cow milkshake for breakfast.

Final leg on a DC-4 to California on a nice clear, un-bumpy day that I actually
enjoyed. The route seems wrong; I don't
know how they routed in those days. I do have a memory of the pilot dipping the
wings so both sides could see the Grand
Canyon. Maybe getting from Akron to SF involved a stop or plane change in LA.
I'd have been wiped out by then.

Travelin' Moose