Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:32:11 -0400
I should double check but I think I had all the hoses, coolant and water
pump replaced at the 100,000 mile service.  Doing the water pump was a
no-brainer since the Chrysler V6 (of that year at least) requires
replacing the timing belt, spark plugs and wires at 100,000 miles.  That
service was close to $1,000 mostly due to the labor to get to the timing
belt.  The water pump alone is almost as much labor so it got replaced
as a matter of course.  I love that car (it handles better than my '64
XKE ever did) but Chrysler's "cab forward" design leaves no room under
the hood for working.  Removing the timing belt cover pretty much
involves removing everything in front of it from the grill on back.  Oh,
there's also no room under the hood for the A/C receiver-drier.  It's
under the dash.  It's a $200 part that requires about $900 of labor to
remove and replace the entire dashboard.  Been there, done that.

Chuck Norcutt