Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:04:33 -0500
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was allowed a few moments with Ken's 14-50, which I mounted on my
> E-410.  Fit together about like Ma and Pa Kettle.  I was afraid the
> lens would rub on the prism overhang.  I razz Ken about his occasional
> hyperbole, but I think he has been holding back a bit on the sheer
> look-and-feel qualities of this lens.  I took a few comparison shots
> to see how my DZ 14-45 (kit lens of the 410) stacked up.  Using
> nothing more than FastStone viewer for a quick look, I don't see much
> difference.  (I will eventually look more carefully.)  But the 14-45
> is a superb lens, so I suspect it not to be bettered, or certainly not
> by much, anyway.  It may come down to the pesky corners.

I've had a chance to look at the comparison shots now in Photoshop,
where I notice more refinement in the manner in which the Panny 14-50
renders highlights.  It captures more detail such as where cloud
merges to sky.

There is also more detail in textures like grass in and out of
shadows.  And indeed the corners are sharper with the Panny 14-50.
Very nice lens!

Joel W.