[OM] MMF-1 and mDZ 9-18 + IMG: another IR photo

Subject: [OM] MMF-1 and mDZ 9-18 + IMG: another IR photo
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:24:47 +0200
Hi all,

It's been a long time since my last post -- this was a crazy end-of-term
but, like Alice Cooper sang: School's Out! Having had to repair the computer
didn't help either :-(

Now I have in front of me 53 OM digests to read... I hope to catch up
relatively soon! I however have a look at the archives from time to time,
just to keep in touch, at least in lurk mode...

From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Chris, I was tempted to buy the 9-18 too, but after reading the reviews and
looking at
>the samples at dpreview, I concluded that too many compromises had been
made to
>achieve the small size and opted for the 7-14 instead. I will pick it up
next week.

This was a very interesting thread, because since I replaced the EOS300D
with the GF1, I suffered from severe wide-angle _hunger_... And despite the
total adaptability of MFT bodies to manual focus lenses in any mount, the x2
crop factor made that great wide-angles nearly useless :-(

But I eventually took a rather "radical" solution, since I already made a
notable investment on Leica-M mount wide-angles (esp. CV)... the M9 is "a
bit" beyond my budget; but _used_ M8's are becoming sort-of-affordable
nowadays, so... I got one ;-) Definitely a different approach to digital
photography, but being very keen on rangefinders I find it a joy to use. And
starting from a 16mm equivalent...

Another advantage over having purchased a wide-zoom for MFT (for not much
less money) is that... now I own _two_ digital bodies (I never had a digital
compact, BTW) so doing funny things like

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4776683911/>

or

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4777568368/>

is easier to me now ;-)

About the well known bug/feature of the M8, the unexpected IR sensitivity...
I have yet purchased the preceptive UV-IR cut filters, but tried it a bit
before that... No, it can't see thru clothes, however I've discovered that
it can actually "see" thru hair dyes -- especially those for grey/white
hair, which look _purple_ on the unfiltered M8!

Seriously, this IR sensitivity looks interesting in Astrophotography -- my
other digicam is almost blind to emission nebulae :-(

On the negative side... it seems that Panasonic can't make a decent
JPEG/imaging engine! The advantage of shooting Raw is enormous... Definitely
I'll keep the M8 in DNG mode all the time, JPEG is a waste of time with it
-- and the more "calmed" approach (instead of the thousand-point-and-shoot
pics) makes Raw development feasible (yeah, I'm lazy). ACR is great, and
reason enough for me to purchase the full-featured PS... especially with
teacher's edition discount!

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)