Re: [OM] OMZ 21/2, Food Sovereignty

Subject: Re: [OM] OMZ 21/2, Food Sovereignty
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:08:02 -0500
>Nice shot Nicholas.  Um, what's that line, about 1/3 down from the top?

Probably a scratch on the neg.  That's what cheap drugstore processing buys you.

>We're losing "food sovereignty" -- control over one's food supply --
> at an alarming rate. Soon, you'll only be able to eat what the
> industry-government allows you to eat.

Jan, I like that phrase, and I tend to agree that we should be wary of
what we eat.

Incidentally, my parents have substantial gardens at their house.
They like to garden, but they also try to avoid processed foods as
much as possible.  My paternal grandfather was a farmer and my
maternal grandfather ran a restaurant and catering business for years.
 That heavily influenced my parent's approach to food.  They don't
raise their own poultry or beef (they would if they could, believe me)
but they do purchase from local farmers whenever they can.  They do
this for health reasons, sure, but I think for them the driving
impetus is flavor.
The end result is, my mom's cooking is better than anything short of a
5 star French restaurant (yes I'm biased, but considering the number
of cooking classes she's taken and her years of experience in the
restaurant business, this really isn't far from the truth).  Fresher
is better.  Even a simple dish like oven roasted new potatoes takes on
a whole new dimension when the potatoes were dug out of the ground
that day, and are flavored with herbs that were hand picked not even
20 minutes prior to going into the oven.  Tomatoes that are not eaten
fresh are frozen and later used to make pasta sauce or used for
stewing.  My mom also makes a salsa that is to die for.
Their latest project is homemade fruit wines, which I suppose is just
a step up from syrups, jellies and preserves which they also make.
Unfortunately, the Plum Circillio has wiped out most of their plums,
peaches and nectarines the last few years.  To be expected since they
do live in the Houston area and the climate is a little too warm for
stone fruit.
My wife and I just planted our first two fruit trees, and we hope to
start an herb garden sometime soon.