[OM] 21/2, mamiya 7, et al

Subject: [OM] 21/2, mamiya 7, et al
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:23:33 -0400

On 6/11/2010 6:24 AM, Sawyer, Edward wrote:
>> Ed, are you saying the C/Y Distagon has more distortion than the
Zuiko 21mm?
> I think so, yes. And worse than the quantity is the complexity - it's
> moustache distortion, difficult to correct.
Mooose says:
"The example on the PTLens site suggests that may not be true, the
correction is quite good. That's also been my experience with PTLens."

A prime I believe only requires 1 image for PTlens to consruction the
profile  if it is not in the database and no other work.  Cheap , easy
and good.   Site says primarily for distances for 25ft to infin but
very good even 10 feet out.

DXO includes focusing distance for the correction, if available , but a
MF lens will likely never be supported.
Oddly the the 5D classic  IIRC does not include focus distance in the
exif despite the data being available to flashes.  Older
cams did report this data--I think the 30D.  This was restored in the
5DII.  Perhaps until  Canyon software needed the data, Canyon just left
it out.

Another fussy option is the lens profile creator in PS--your could even
do this for a MF lens and edit in focus distance in the exif if you
wanted to be
compulsive.  Will correct LCA /vignetting too.  Aperture/fstop can be
put in at time of shot with a chipped adapter or after with exif
editor.  Seems like a bunch of work but would be for your  specific cam
and lens and eliminate  sampling issues.  Perhaps we should profile
every Zuiko.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/lensprofile_creator/lensprofile_creator_userguide.pdf

Mike