Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.

Subject: Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:31:17 -0500
> You haven't found the override key?  (The Holy Grail ...)

No, not yet. However, there is  rogue terminal app which has control
and alt key functionality.

> When you find a way to do control and alt sequences, let me know.
> I've almost got MS Access working via Remote Desktop (free app called
> RDP lite).  I think this may not have been one of Apple's priorities,
> hehe ...

I'm using VNC. Works pretty well. Except when you have the host
computer setup as 32-bit screen and for bandwidth reasons, you have
the remote setup as 8-bit, that most video apps won't show. This is
important to me because I'm trying to setup a VNC session for remote
controlling my Minolta A1. With the control software for the A1, you
can see in liveview what the camera sees right on the computer. Well,
I have the A1 hooked up the laptop and I'm trying to remote control
the laptop with the iPad.

Otherwise, VNC works pretty good. I use it to remote control the
projection system at church. I can be anywhere in the room and advance
the songs on the screen.

> With respect to photography, photos saved to a folder in ReaddleDocs
> will sort of play like a slide show.

I looked at ReaddleDocs, but I think I need to see it in action on
yours first. Being a tightwad, I have a problem with spending money on
apps for something that should be a logical built-in function of the
device itself. I'm convinced that the first iPad knockoff that comes
along which is a real computer, not a bastardized media player, will
have a goldmine on their hands.

Nice to see HP get Palm, just maybe that OS will see a revival of
sorts. Don't tell anybody, but my Palm Centro (which isn't even the
latest WebOS version) does a lot of things the iPhones/iPods/iPads
don't. At least with my Centro, I can send Alt-Codes.

So far, the two killer features of the iPad?
1. Instant startup.
2. Insane battery life.

AG