Re: [OM] [OT] LAN woes

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] LAN woes
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:12:50 -0700
Some ideas:

Make sure internet connection sharing is not on on either of the computers.

Make sure there is one source for DHCP, and it's the ONLY source of DHCP on
your LAN. It's usualyy "standard" to have the router *get* it's WAN
addressing via DHCP from you ISP, and to *provide* DHCP to all your LAN
devices.

Ensure there's no accidental incorrect gateway address. Both the computers
should have a gateway address that's the router's *internal* address. In
your case it looks like it should be 192.168.10.1.

Make sure every system is getting DNS from the same place.

Check netmasks as suggested elsewhere.

Run:

ipconfig /all | more

on Windows boxen to see if the settings are correct for each network
connection on each box. It'll likely be most interesting on the laptop,
where I expect something is not correct.

The problem is almost certainly due to a change in the laptop, as you can
still ping the laptop from the desktop machine. My suspicion is that the
laptop is failing, for some reason, to switch off the wireless and switch
completely back to the wired connection, and that the wireless connection,
as a result of the use outside your LAN, is wrong somewhere. That would
explain the good ping of the laptop from the desktop (it's communicating
wired only) but no good communication from the laptop to the desktop.

I've seen this happen on a number of laptops. Check that the wired
connection is enabled, and if necessary, temporarily disable the wireless
connection to try and force the switch. Also triple-check the wireless
connection to see that it has NOT somehow retained one of the settings for
the foreign network you were on in the hotel.

---
Scott Gomez

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx