Re: [OM] various

Subject: Re: [OM] various
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:05:20 -0400
As mentioned re: audio amp - lots of good diagnostics given. You will need a
line-level source to try it with, either a preamp or something that outputs
preamp-level signal. An ipod headphone output would probably do it.

That looks like a nice Technics amp, from the pics - definitely not a cheap
unit! Worth fixing up, most certainly, and easily probably worth a a few
hundred $ by itself. I am guessing it's not that common, most of the really
high-end separates from back then never made it over here, or if they did it
was in limited quantities compared to the mid-fi receivers and whatnot.

RB vs RZ vs ???

RZ is lighter, can take RB lenses (but why bother unless you already have some
- the RZ ones are generally better), the prism doesn't weigh 1.5kg (3+ lbs),
more like 940g. Though it is chunky, I prefer it to the waist-level or other
finders.  I wish it wasn't a 30 degree angle but more straight-on though.

The latest RZ (and likely RB) lenses are indeed great, with modern coatings and
nice designs. While maybe not the absolute max resolution numbers that the best
35mm lenses put out, the 5x larger negative more than makes up for it.

There are some not-so-great RZ lenses,  but most are pretty good. Still, the
Mamiya 7 lenses are basically all as good or better than the RZ glass,
particularly the wides (biogon-style designs).

OM 40/2:

This is a nice lens, but so overpriced due to collector's market it's crazy. I
had an as-new in-box copy, I used it very little and couldn't really justify
keeping it. I recently sold it, hopefully the new owner enjoys it. I wish these
were more common (and about $65 instead of $650), as they are pretty neat.

OM 100/2 vs. 85/2 et al.

I can see why one would part with a 135/2.8 and 85/2 for a 100/2.  I know I
would. I have an 85/2 but more often use the 90/2, which in someways is the
best of all worlds in that range.  Modern OM design, f/2, fantastic images, and
1:2 macro. The 100/2 might be a tiny bit better specs-wise at long distances,
but the 90/2 is so versatile it more than makes up for it I think.  100/2s have
been fetching some serious coin lately, the last few on ebay have been over
$900, at least one was in the $1300 range I recall.

-Ed