Re: [OM] Empty Glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Empty Glass
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 08:49:35 -0500
> Looks kinda like film grain.  Is that straight out of the camera or a
> bit enhanced?

Well, kinda sorta. I shot RAW+JPEG, but ended up using the RAW
conversion using the same in-camera settings as the JPEG. The results
were essentially identical but with a slightly better behaved (linear)
noise pattern. Ended up I could have used the in-camera JPEG without
any change whatsoever. Panasonic's in-camera noise-reduction isn't the
prettiest thing around.

In post-processing, I did bump the curves a touch for personal taste,
resized, sharpened (to correct for the resizing), added the border and
logo and saved it.

The grain/noise pattern is from the camera. I know that some people
get the willies over grain, but for soft pictures like this I feel
that random noise like this is important as it provides a surface for
the eyes to focus on.

AG