Re: [OM] Pen EP1 for $549 with kit lens at Costco (Climbing)

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen EP1 for $549 with kit lens at Costco (Climbing)
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:54:02 +0200
Hi Tim, Chris and all,

On 27 Apr 2010, at 07:26, Tim Hughes wrote:
>What I really would like would be a compact micro 4/3 12mm lens from
whatever vendor

Me too... A reasonable "prime-team" would be 10/4, 12/2.8 and, hopefully,
14/2 -- or a dream 12/2!

>In theory apart from issues of rays exciting lens to hit microlenses
correctly,
>it should be possible to make a very compact short focal length lens for
micro 4/3,
>given the 20mm flange distance.

Usually, the most compact lenses in any system are those with a focal length
closer to the flange distance... Without a mirror in the way, shorter lenses
may protrude into the body, although not recommended with digital sensors,
because of the microlens issue you mention.

From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>AI too should like such a lens, but the only one you are likely to find is
a MF CV 12mm from
>CameraQuest (for instance), for which you would need the adaptor as well,
of course.

It does work on the GF1, but it's really an overkill solution... <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4390437370/>. I've heard it's
problematic with the full-frame M9, but on the cropped mFT sensor everything
seems OK. With film is a superb lens...

Making a rectilinear lens covering 121 degrees is a difficult task -- no
matter the actual focal length, which will depend on format.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)