Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe

Subject: Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:38:36 -0700
On 5/19/2010 5:49 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> Might they be driving "turtles"?  :-)
> ...and stopping every few miles (kms) to take photographs.

Ah well, stopping for pics sound like me. I've never gotten home and
wished I stopped less often for photo ops, but the reverse is often
true. On the other hand, I'm pretty careful not to block other folks'
progress.

There's this one spot along Hwy. 1, No. of Elk, where some confluence of
drainage, soil, whatever, results in the most amazing display of
wildflowers I think I've ever seen in such a small space, between the
pavement and a nearby fence. And it's in the middle of about a two mile
stretch of two lane blacktop with no shoulders whatsoever. Some day, I'm
either going to get Carol an orange vest and traffic control sign or
park and trudge to get shots of it.

On 5/19/2010 10:44 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> PS : Ken... watch your mouth about us elderly drivers. Someday you'll be one
>> too.  ;o)
>>
> I said "SOME".  Present company excluded, of course.  However, I can't
> account for Moose. :)

One of the nice things about the Turtle is that it is far from
underpowered. The basic vehicle was designed as a commercial van, able
to carry considerable loads, so in our configuration, it's quite peppy.
As to how I drive it, well, everybody says it should get around 20 mpg
of diesel. Some report getting up to 22 mpg.

I haven't quite managed 18 mpg on a tank yet, so either there's
something wrong with ours or I use the go pedal with more enthusiasm
than most. ;-)

When we arrived in Gualala this trip, as soon as we had our site
secured, we called to make chicken pot pie (CPP) reservations. I ran the
38 miles to the restaurant in under 45 minutes, probably too fast on
that road. At least one car pulled over for me.

I've never been a CPP person, but there's this unprepossessing little
restaurant, Bridget Dolan's, in the tiny town of Elk (Amazing bay and
views!). We went there last year when we stayed next door. I had
something else that sounded good, and actually was, and Carol had the
CPP. Proof that she loves me is that she let me try a little - OMG, OMG!

When we were staying north of there in March, we called ahead to make
sure they had CPPs, drove half an hour to get there, sat down ordered -
and had the waiter come back to say they were out. Waaaaa. We just
couldn't see trying anything else, so went back to camp and to make
something simple.

This time, we reminded them of last time, they remembered, and got them
to agree to hold two pies, then put them in the oven to be ready when we
got there. Heaven! Ooooh the crust! The complex, subtle spicing, the
perfect texture and viscosity of the gravy, tender, flavorful chicken,
perfectly cooked vegetables! OMG!

On the way back, I dawdled, savoring the feelings of ease and
contentment, but pulled over promptly for faster traffic (almost none,
this time of year.)

Moose