Re: [OM] Another shameless plug... regarding the L1 and Leica lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Another shameless plug... regarding the L1 and Leica lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:07:49 -0500

> I like 1 and 3 very much.  But if 3 were mine I'd clone out or blur the
> contrail or what appears to be a contrail.  Doesn't matter if it is one
> or not because it looks like one and doesn't fit the tranquil scene.

LOL, this is fly-over country. That's all we have in our skies are
contrails!

I agree about one and three. Two isn't nearly as nice for several reasons.
First of all, no polarizer was used on that shot, which really helped
intensify the colors in the others. Secondly, the exposure was a touch hot
because the wazy surface of the flowers reflected a lot more sunlight
without being tamed down by the polarizer. But I included it as a point of
comparison, I think. Human error during conversion meant that I did a lousy
job matching the curves too.

My buddy here with the 25mm F1.4 lens and I are comparing images from the
Leica lenses. We see pretty much the same characteristics between the lenses
as compared to the Olympus glass. There is a distinct background separation
regardless of the aperture and also the performance wide-open is pretty much
stunning. I sold my 14-54 and he has the 12-60 as well as 50-200 and the
Leica lenses are producing distinctly different images. Between the two of
us, we have like four major portrait sessions shot on the Leica lenses and
we both don't want to go back. On his last one, he changed to the 12-60
about halfway through and you can see the precise point where that lens
change happened. The Leica shots remind me of those arty-crafty greeting
cards where people buy several copies of the same card and cut out the
subject from most of them and glue them to the one used as a background to
form 3D-like images.

I know I've been waxing poetic over this PanaLeica stuff, but I haven't been
"corrected" by anybody who also has it. The L1 is no E-1 in build-quality,
but it isn't bad either. The image color/contrast is definitely different
than Olympus and my wife has made that observation several times, so I've
got a little bit of work to do and the on-chip CMOS-like noise-reduction
isn't helping matters any with the wierd water-color artifacts at the
pixel-level.

The real rising star, though, has to be SilkyPix. This raw converter really
does a very nice job and I'm able to get really fat looking colors and
densities without things looking hokey.

AG