Re: [OM] [OT] I need new glasses

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] I need new glasses
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 13:34:54 -0500

> But the biggest cost is hand-fitting each pair of glasses,
> done by local professionally licensed people, not the third-
> world wage-slaves that assembled the Ipod.

Larry,

Clowe but no cigar. I was speaking to an optometrist friend, and he noted
that the price he pays for lenses is very little different to what you pay,
with a markup of less than 20%. MOst all of th elenses today,  at least in
my no line bifocal case, are made to order in China. The doctor makes
sophisticated measurements, faxes them to the US distributor, who forewards
them to the manufacturer, and the y return in days.

Generally. only one side is maed at the factory, for any lens. Whereever it
is done, by a doctors own operation or a thrid party, the back side is
ground to get your perscription.

Billl Pearce