[OM] Passing of the guard

Subject: [OM] Passing of the guard
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:12:55 -0500
Excuse my sharing, but I get a big worked up over some of these things...

Today is a milestone of sorts. My second ever brand-new lens purchase has
now found a new home. Yes, the DZ 14-54 is winging its way to the left coast
to find new life with another photographer. This lens has been kinda like
family, as it came with the E-1 and has had nearly 40,000 pictures taken
through it.

But, alas, photon-wear has kicked in and it no longer is the sweetheart it
once was. OK, so it really is, but the newly arrived PanaLeica 14-50 is the
preferred FourThirds lens.

I'll miss the weather-sealing, that little extra reach of 54mm and the
decent ergonomics of the lens. Shoot, it even was sized about right with a
nice weight.

Yesterday afternoon, few hours were spent doing lens testing to compare the
goodness of the various lenses with overlapping focal-lengths to benchmark
the sharpness and bokeh at various apertures. I was reminded as to why this
lens is so popular, because it's center-sharpness is pretty much second to
none. However, the 14-50 just takes that center sharpness and applies it
across the entire image area with no visible coma distortion.

It's been a fun ride and I changed my mind about selling it at least 10
times. But nearly 3000 pictures with the 14-50 this past week has shown me
that it's absolutely OK to move on. Anyway, I digress. I promise not to go
negative here.  The 14-54 remains a highly recommended lens and offers
distinct advantages over the PanaLeica, but one of them had to go.

No regrets....

...really!

AG Schnozz