Re: [OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 21:27:52 -0400
That's a bummer.  Reproduce your physical setup without film in the
camera, open the film door and fire.  Did you see the flash through the
lens?

The other question has to do with "much of  the Portra 160 roll was
underexposed beyond salvage".  So, what about the stuff that was
salvaged?  Was it ugly too but had enough ambient light to save it?  Or
were some of the flash shots actually OK?

I don't know if you have a flash meter to measure actual output but you
can probably judge well enough if there's at least enough light that you
should have gotten a salvageable shot.

I don't think there's too many things that can go dramatically wrong.
The camera's sync could be totally off but if that's the case you won't
see any flash through the lens looking through the film gate.  The
alternative is premature quenching by the flash but I'm guessing you can
eyeball that viewing through the lens... at least well enough to be in
the ballpark.  Or, could you have really been at f/11?  I think even 3
stops down would find something visible but maybe not really recoverable.

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt