Re: [OM] Shutter lag, was: LEICA M6 Titanium.

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter lag, was: LEICA M6 Titanium.
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:22:53 +0200
Hi Ken, Chris, Charles and all,

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>It probably wouldn't be all that difficult if you use sound for
measurement.
>Using a digital recording software like Audacity, use a decent quality
>microphone placed next to the camera. You will need some plunging device on
>the shutter-release that makes a sound as it strikes the button.

Hmmm... but I don't how can I *hear* the beginning of actual exposure...

However, the idea of using an audio editor for measurement is very
interesting and convenient. I could generate a "pseudo audio signal" to be
recorded by the computer -- for instance, a positive pulse when pressing the
button and a negative pulse at the beginning of exposure. The latter could
be generated, as I devised, thru a phototransistor at the right side of the
frame (where the exposure starts).

With electronically triggered cameras (Contax RTS, Minolta CLE...) the first
pulse would be generated directly, the main problem being with sacrificing
some specific cable release for that matter.

Chris Crawford wrote:
>The F4 is a really nice camera, but it's metering
>system is as inconsistent from camera to camera as has probably ever been
>made.

Can't tell about it because I only had a (bad) brief experience with the F4.
The unusual thing with it is that the spot meter is built into the body,
whereas matrix and centre-weighted are supplied by the datachable viewfinder
-- if it has all modes.

IME, Nikon's best metering system, at least in the
low-light-capability-with-high-speed-films department, is the F3 -- not too
different setup than that of the OM-2S/3/4 series. But I haven't tried
anything newer than the F4 (and the N90s)

From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
>For a quick and dirty measurement of shutter lag time try here:
><
http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

Thanks for the link but, as you said, this is intended for slow AF compacts.
Anyway, I tried my GF1 with it: 0 with pre-focusing, about 0.4 s without it.

>Googling a bit I found these figures from a 1983 issue of Popular
>Photography:
>
>Pentax LX = 46
>Olympus OM-1 = 60
>Pentax Super Program(SuperA) = 65
>Nikon FM2 = 70
>Contax 137 = 76
>Canon AE-1 = 86
>Contax 139 = 90
>Nikon FG/Leica R4 = 100
>Minolta X700 = 176
>Canon AE-1 Program = 185
>Fujica AX-5 = 190

Thanks for the table! I think it's what I saw. But I'm eager to perform my
own testing...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)