Re: [OM] Quick One

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick One
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 06:03:07 -0700 (PDT)
Thankyou for thinking of me, John.

We were cut out of the rest of the world for a day or two since the roads were
flooded.  I drove around and found huge trenches and potholes the size of a
swimming pool dug by the water.

The problem was not the water that came from somewhere else, such as the near
by river...problem was the water that came from the sky.  The rain pounded the
ground for weeks, oversaturating it, if you look at the map of RI, it is mostly
water.

I got out easy, compared to most others, since I live almost at the top of a
small hill and there isnt a river around, just the sea.  There is only one
house above mine.  With one of the shopvacs, we were able to keep it in the
front part of the basement altough it was hard to keep up with it at times.  To
give you a sense how oversaturated the soil was, picture this:

The water made four holes, about a foot away from the foundation of the house
on the lower side that spit out water like springs at a rate of couple of
gallons per minute each.  The rain stopped Tue eve and the water stopped
bubbling out just yesterday.  Now my yard (and everyone elses..) looks like a
giant mudpit.  There are rats roaming around and the ants are persistent in
their pursuit to occupy the house.

As I said before, we were lucky.  Water was coming in the basement only on Tue
and Wed.  For some peeps that process hazent stopped yet.

Lost some property, yes, but now my basement is dry, although I am still
running 24/7 three fans that suck the air out of it.  We spent the nights after
and the entire weekend cleaning.  Building shelves and replacement furniture
starts tonight...

This is it.

Boris

Re: [OM] Quick One

From:
John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:27:22 -0300

Never mind the vinyl ............. how is house, home and family ?

My wife and I watched some dramatic clips on PBS tv this evening of the
flooding in RI.

Although we've never met our thoughts are with you.

John Hudson