Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alic

Subject: Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alicante]
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:10:44 -0500
> Ah well. It's funny how one may fall into a pattern. My scanners and
> primary digicams are Canon, MF 35mm was always Oly for decades, dot
> matrix, then color printers Epson.
>
>  ... And, I've been using HP laserjets since shortly after the first
> one came out, both at work and at home.
>
> Doing massive financial analysis during an LBO, I had 3-4 of them going
> full blast all day every day for over ten days without a hitch. I even
> wrote a tiny assembler program to sent PCL to set them up before all
> apps had proper drivers that worked its way around and outside of the
> company.
>
> I've never had any support troubles, although mostly, I suppose, 'cause
> they have been so reliable. Although I don't like it, I can understand
> why they wouldn't want to go back and update a driver for a several year
> old printer to a 64 bit OS. After all, the printer cost less than $100
> and still works with all the current 32 bit versions of Windoze.
>
> Part of the reason it was cheap is that the driver did all the raster
> processing on the computer. Thus a rewrite might be a lot of work. I
> suppose if they had the old code, were still using the same programming
> system and had someone around who remembered, it might be easy, but
> that's a big if. If I'd bought a smarter, more expensive one running PCL
> on the printer, it would still be usable on W7-64. This one says it
> supports PCL3 in the printer.
>
> I sympathize with your PS problem, but I think they are more likely to
> keep up with OS changes than those of a single app, no matter how
> significant.
>
> I did a lot of reading of user reviews. The seem to pile up at top and
> bottom. Those at the top praise it. Of those at the bottom, a few got
> bad ones, a few bought the wrong printer for their needs and the rest
> are those who either are completely unable to follow directions or
> aren't happy without something to complain about.
>
> Based on the fit between specs and my desires, it's far the best choice
> on paper. So I'm taking the plunge.
>
> A few weeks ago, and a couple of times before that, I tried to find a
> good price on a decent 'n' router. Reading the user reviews, you'd think
> they were all crap, even the expensive ones. Same pattern as for the HP,
> lots of happy people, not quite as many unhappy ones. I sort of decided
> that the proportion of those who have trouble who write about it is much
> higher than those who are happy.
>
> After all, if all the major brands and models were that bad, it would be
> common knowledge, and a scandal, but in fact, about 1/3 of US households
> have a Wi-Fi/router, and the majority must work. So I gave up worrying
> and bought a Linksys refurb. Worked fllwlessly out of the box, required
> one check-box change when I moved from DSL to cable and I couldn't be
> happier with it.
>
> Moose

Wow, Moose, what a lot of words. I suspect that if you had to keep two
versions of PS loaded to account for a really big company with really deep
pockets to continue to sell  a product today that works with a MAJOR program
from several YEARS ago, you wouldn't be so happy. Perhaps yo own stock in
HP?

Bill Pearce