Re: [OM] Public-place photography in the USA

Subject: Re: [OM] Public-place photography in the USA
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:25:56 +0100
Le vendredi 12 mars 2010 00:34:59, Brian Swale a écrit :

> I think the guy in Burlington made a mistake by concentrating on the one
>  site so much.

I completely agree. Plus he seems to be a complete moron. Indeed, you may
"have the right" to do a lot of things. But many time you don't out of
politeness, and if you do overstep politeness from time to time to get
something you're entitled to, you usually refrain to make an habit of it
unless you really want to get branded as a bully. When I shoot in the street,
and the person seems annoyed, I get my camera down, smile, and go toward that
person to explain what I do. If I have already a picture of her, I offer to
send the fullsize file by mail, and I have business cards bearing my e-mail
address so he/she can get in touch. If the person's really pissed, I delete
without hesitation. It happened maybe twice.

And I never, ever, shoot family with childs I don't know, (or worse, children
alone), without clear invitation, because it's a sure way to trigger a defense
reflex. It may happen there's a child somewhere in my frame, but I try to wait
until I can't see the face anymore before I push the button, in case things go
real bad and my pics get reviewed by the authorities.

Lastly, it helps cooling things down being with the wife. Somehow, it makes
you look a lot less like a stalker.

To wrap it in a couple of words : use common sense. Be ready to show your
work. Avoid embarassing people. Make them look beautiful, or at least
interesting. They'll be more likely than not to be A-OK with you shooting
them.

But of course, I live in a country (France) where individual rights to privacy
trump the photographer's rights. Down here, according to the law, you should
have explicit permission from the subject prior to taking the picture,
regardless of the place being public or private.

--
Manuel Viet