Re: [OM] OT: GF-1 as Point and Shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: GF-1 as Point and Shoot
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:13:02 +0100
Hi Andrew, Chris and all,

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>But you raise a worry. I've got hoods on but it bothers me. I start to
>wonder, did they not supply them for a reason. In the olden days, the
>hood was attached to a solid bit of lens front but now, with these
>dinky little things, they are screwed into the front element assembly
>which doesn't seem too sturdy.

You're right... I keep a Hoya HMC UV filter permanently on the 20mm -- I
never use a cap, that way is always ready to shoot. Otherwise, when I'm
doing some "serious" photography (usually with film) I prefer to use hoods
for the classic lenses. Or the newest CVs.

>Would it not have been nice if, with the 20mm, the hood attached to
>the body? It doesn't project far when focussing!

Speaking of focussing movements... I am a bit worried of using a step-up
ring on the 20mm -- at infinity, the filter thread rim seems essentially
flush with the outer body, but when turning off the camera, the lens does a
back-and-forth motion, apparently going _beyond_ infinity -- that is,
recessing the thread a bit. I don't want that to happen with a step-up ring
on... or even a thick filter.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)