[OM] Purchase of new mobile camera case & New photo opportunities this y

Subject: [OM] Purchase of new mobile camera case & New photo opportunities this year
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:29:41 -0800
I gues it may be time to 'fess up to part of what was engaging me enough
that folks though I might be off-line a bit ago. I was engaged in
serious GAS activities. Lengthy travel by motorcycle through India, or
pretty much anywhere, doesn't attract me, but there are other ways to
travel.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=IMG_0282is.jpg>

A lot of time has gone into this RV.  When we were in Acadia last Fall,
we talked to a couple with a neat looking van conversion. Sort of like a
pop-top VW, but on a larger, more powerful Ford van. We've often talked
about how we would like to see more of North America. We are blessed to
have so many people with whom to stay in New England and a few other
places, but we'd also like to see other areas, perhaps especially the
rest of the West, at least at first.

A few weeks ago, I followed up on line and discovered the world of RVs
that are converted vans. As it turned out, an RV show was scheduled for
the last week in Jan at the local county fairgrounds. So we wandered
down and went through much of the show. After looking at endless
alternatives. We particularly liked one brand for layout, quality of
fittings and workmanship, etc. And, the dealer was selling a hardly used
one for a customer for a lot less than a new one. After another visit,
when I got to look at and test drive the used one, I was pretty excited.
it is in like new condition, with 6,500 mi on it, which is nothing to
the Mercedes diesel designed for hundreds of thousands of kilometers of
commercial use. But nailing down some numbers, it became clear that the
total cost was almost certainly outside my comfort zone.

When I was talking to my younger son about other things and mentioned we
were looking at RVs, he was very interested. Unbeknown to me, he an his
fiancee had been talking about how they would like to have an RV. In
fact, they were planning to rent one for their honeymoon, for an
estimated cost of $5,000!

Sooo, we took them to the show that Saturday, showed them all around so
they could get a feeling of what the alternatives are, then to look at
the model we were interested in. They really liked it. They had an
initial concern that it is really only for two adults and maybe a young
child - and they have plans. ;-)   Once I told them how it would easily
tow a pop-up tent camper for kids, they got excited.
<http://www.pleasureway.com/models_dodge_ascent.php>

After some family discussion, some talk with salesman, etc., we worked
out an informal, family joint ownership/use agreement. Nick's paying
about half the initial costs and covering part of the monthly expenses.
I made an offer which was accepted, got financing right there and will
be picking it up on Thursday. I'll probably end up using a different
financing alternative, but this allowed us to close the deal quickly.

Should reliably get 20mpg. Some folks report 22. The basic chassis and
drivetrain are designed and have been used in Europe for 20± yrs as
commercial vans, so RV use should be no strain at all. Other than
needing to be aware of length and height, it drives like a car. Zooms
right up freeway ramps and is easy to maneuver around town.

Of course, it was raining when we picked it up and has been raining off
and on since. The kids managed an initial, two night jaunt to watch the
BIG wave surfing at Mavericks. We were going to go to Monterey/Carmel
the start of this week, but the weather was against us. Not that one
can't travel in the rain, but we'd like our first outing to have
pleasant weather. Maybe next week.

We're in discussions about possible destinations for the spring through
fall.

A. Travelin' Moose