[OM] E-3 Live View Discovery (was "Augment, not Replace - Lessons from t

Subject: [OM] E-3 Live View Discovery (was "Augment, not Replace - Lessons from the Past")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:43:54 -0600
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But you do make some valid points. It is of course annoying. At least the 4/3
> system allows you to mount a lot of lenses on it with adapters, and the micro
> 4/3 even more--and the latter (least my GF-1 does that) adjusts the
> brightness of the screen when the lens is stopped down manually, so one of
> the big disadvantages of stop-down metering all of a sudden does not matter.

I didn't realize this would matter much to me and made light of
criticisms of the E-330's LV modes, which automatically compensate for
exposure changes.  The E-3 doesn't and so you can go to live view, put
your favorite lens for macro on it, and watch the exposure change with
each stop click or SS change until it looks good and then shoot.  With
Z lenses plus adapter you can pretty much forget about the metering
issues.  Set the replay to show the histogram or highlight for a gut
check if necessary.  It is very sweet.

The 330 will never get LV B duty again.  Same for the 410, which works
like the 330.  I'm not sure with which model Olympus introduced this
particular set of LV smarts.  Me likey.

Joel W.