Re: [OM] Linux very [OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux very [OT]
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:10:11 -0800
Traintables are labor :-)

Linux is easy:

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Contains both the download and the installation instructions. Perhaps a
recommendation regarding partitioning: Create at least a separate "home"
partition if installing to replace an existing O/S, swap partition should be
at least = to physical RAM, Let Ubuntu handle partitioning if installing to
dual boot with Windows, simply adjust the partition sizes as needed. The
rest of the installation should be almost a no-brainer. This is perhaps the
easiest distro for non-computer types--my wife's mother started with her
first computer and Ubuntu two years ago, at age 70+, and has had no problems
with it.. Ubuntu is distributed separately from Debian, although based upon
it.

Fedora version 12 is also very nice, but more aimed at computer types than
general users, IMHO. General instructions are the same, but you'll answer
far more questions when installing Fedora than Ubuntu.
http://fedoraproject.org/

Email me direct if you want help, and/or have more questions, Boris, and
don't want to carry on a long OT conversation here.

---
Scott Gomez