Re: [OM] Catch all solution for stuck aperture blades

Subject: Re: [OM] Catch all solution for stuck aperture blades
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:06:39 -0500
Yes, lighter fluid works well.  Ronsonol is suggested since it is pure
naptha and also comes in a small can with a pinhole spout which makes it
easy to dispense small amounts.

I don't know anything about the 50 FD lens but it's sometimes possible
to just remove either the front or rear group of elements without
disassembling the whole lens.  On some lenses it's fairly easy to remove
the entire rear group by unscrewing a single cell.  That allows you to
reach in with a tool and drop bits of Ronsonol on the diaphragm and
start trying to work it to free it.  Of course you may have to do this
100 times but eventually it comes free and the oil evaporates with the
Ronsonol.  Be sure to hold the lens level so you don't drop Ronsonol all
the way through to the back of the front group.

Without a total disassembly, cleaning and re-greasing of the helix
eventually the problem of migrating oil will return.  But you might get
several years use out of it before that happens.

Chuck Norcutt