Re: [OM] your smile of the decade

Subject: Re: [OM] your smile of the decade
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:53:14 -0500
Quite possibly true for many local cops but the New York State Police
have much higher standards.  Training is 26 weeks and, apart from
passing a highly competitive exam, candidates must have a minimum of 2
years of college education or 1 year with 2 years of military
experience.  Many candidates (such as my son did) have a full 4 year
undergraduate or even graduate degree.  But my son joined to be able to
fly a helicopter and not because he really desired to be a cop.  Even so
he did spend 3 months on road patrol after graduation before the system
caught up with him and discovered he was a qualified helicopter pilot.

I looked it up and was surprised to see that the RCMP only require a
high school diploma although training is 24 weeks.

Chuck Norcutt