[OM] ( OM ) E- ... Flower in decline, treadmill, & Raw Therapee

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) E- ... Flower in decline, treadmill, & Raw Therapee
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:20:31 +1300
Hi all,

A kind of postscript to the saga of the cactus flower.

I photographed it the day after two days of glorious bloom had ended. One
day more than normal, thanks to low temperatures ( it is supposed to be
high summer here;  I've just been to the supermarket, and people are
shopping in winter ski-gear - woollen hats and padded jackets).

I had a devil of a job getting the E-510 to record the flower in jpeg; the
highlights were constantly blowing out. There was direct sunlight and not
diffuse cloudy light. So in desperation I did one in ORF. I processed this in
Raw Therapee. Took about 20 minutes, but this time I seem to have got the
hang of it, and the petals actually do have some detail to be seen. The
image on screen may not be as large as its potential is; if you wish, save it
and view with Faststone.  I'm pleased with this effort. I won't use  ORF much
due to the time it takes to fix, but it does have its uses "in extremis".

So that out honourable silver-nosed member can see what marvellous feats
of exercise the Border Terriers of my daughter can achieve, I have also
posted a small image of the treadmill in folded state as used for photo
backdrop. It's not quite in the place it was when I used it.  The perspex-lined
frame in the background would, in use, have its long axis horizontal; the idea
is to stop the canine user from jumping out.  To give some idea of what they
are capable of, one (unexceptional ) day my daughter took him for a run in
the country behind her car.  20 km later at 30 km/hr and he was still up for
ball games afterwards.

Brian Swale.