Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15/12/2009: Nathan uses flash!!! Don't miss it, it

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15/12/2009: Nathan uses flash!!! Don't miss it, it is the first time in years!!!
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:38:35 +0000
Hi Chuck and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>When shooting photos such as this
><http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?l=5850ecb95b&pid=971644&id=1226811003>
>Set the camera's flash mode to "slow sync" or what I would call
>"dragging the shutter" (see E-3 manual page 70, 72).  That will allow a
>slow shutter speed to pick up some more ambient light to fill the
>background.

OK, I'm not a 'flash man', so maybe I'm not qualified... but when I want to
use flash is in order to avoid a slow shutter speed -- and the ambient light
will be reddish anyway, so I won't like that mixed WB. I sold my Ricoh GR-1
because of this.

The (still sparkling) GF1 has a rather absurd program mode -- it keeps at
f/1.7 most of the time! When using the (rather weak) built-in flash, it goes
1/30 @ f/1.7... but that exposure value usually allows me to shoot without
flash @ ISO 800, whereas the flash exposure will be at ISO 100 or somewhat
higher -- not much cleaner than 800, BTW.

Flash exposure is one of the few suituations I set the GF1 in manual mode --
mostly for eBay pics, thus usually (its pedestrian) 1/160 @ f/16, of f/5.6
for larger objects. GN6 won't allow much more :-(

YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)