[OM] Rules? [was My new Pen and Friends at Fly-In]

Subject: [OM] Rules? [was My new Pen and Friends at Fly-In]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:31:27 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Ooh!  Ooh!  I just love cafe 1.  It took me several seconds to take it all in.

I agree. A wonderfully complex and subtle shot that rewards time spent
with it.

'T'were mine, I'd lower the brightness of the arm, lower left. Well, I
might even get rid of it - and, well, maybe crop off a little bit of
busyness at the bottom. ;-)
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Fildes/Cafe1.htm>

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The "rule" is (or was) taught at the New England School of Photography.

I'll bet Cafe1 breaks at least a couple of "rules" of some school(s) of
photography. A subject and composition chosen thoughtfully by someone
with a good eye will always trump applying rules.

I wish people would call them what they should by rights be known as,
suggestions or guidelines from experience.

Rule of Thirds - Knowing how those points work with the eye-brain is
really useful. Works a treat on many subjects. Try to force it on others
and ruin them.

Don't put the horizon in the center - I'm not sure I "get" this one at
all. I think it's a very natural, relaxed view, as it's what any of us
see when on level ground looking straight ahead. If sky or land is the
primary subject, sure, emphasize it, perhaps trying vertical thirds
placement for the horizon. We've had a number of excellent images posted
here with the horizon right across the middle.

Of course, I don't do events, so there is no risk for me if I cut off
some feet. :-)

Shoot with love, and you'll get what you need.

Moose