Re: [OM] General Autofocusing Question [Very OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] General Autofocusing Question [Very OT]
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:15:34 -0800
Boris,

Most Nikon lenses focus via a 'screw drive' motor that physically move
the focusing mechanism. Many newer lenses use an ultrasonic or similar
focusing mechanism. The real problem with the D5000 is that you will be
limited to manual focusing most of the autofocus lenses. Only the newer
lenses from Nikon that are designated AF-S will autofocus on the D5000,
sigma HSM and Tamron NII lenses will also autofocus. You can use the
other autofocus lenses, but will need to manual focus them with the
D5000. If you have any other questions on Nikon DLSRs contact me off
list. I shot with them for a couple of years until switching to the
Olympus E-620 this summer, so i can probably answer most questions you
might have.

Jim Couch