Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT PC computers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT PC computers
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:00:54 +1300
John wrote
> I noticed my last Java update was 400K.  Not huge at all.  I add my
> voice to the chorus, why not upgrade your HD?  1T for $90 or less?

There are several issues for me.  One is lack of physical space on my
computer desk ( will post photo some time).
(2) is that the machine I use now has some expensive software on it that
was there when I bought it 2nd hand, and I am reluctant to give that up.
(3) is that the motherboard natively won't let me add more recognisable
drive space than 137GB. At that point in logic, one terabyte is in nevernever
land.

But Chuck has been of great help, and I can get around the 137GB limit by
using a card* "RC 221" from newegg.com .
Newegg.com will not ship outside the USA, but an old University classmate
who now resides north of NY can help in a couple of weeks' time when she
and her hubby return from their respective holidays; he does online
shopping but she will not do it.

*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132025&T
pk=RC%20221

Chuck also helped me considerably by unravelling the confusing terminology
around ATA, SATA, IDE, EIDE and so forth, which local friends had assured
me I should not get confused over when getting an additional hard drive. On
pain of doing terminal damage to my machine.

Finally, Donald correctly noted that I have spent quite a lot of cash on
cameras.  Unfortunately, I've had to spend much more as well, on some
other things, and my financial reserves are running lower than I'm happy
with.  And I won't achieve the degree of control I want, for maybe another 6
months.

At least I'm back home now and not using a landline that disconnects every
10 minutes or 140KB download whichever comes sooner !!

Brian Swale.