[OM] The chili is on, come on over . . .

Subject: [OM] The chili is on, come on over . . .
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:28:04 EST
Our home is beginning to smell a lot like Christmas, with two pots of chili
 going.  One for the weak of heart and the other for the brave souls.
Christmas eve is a time for our tradition of having friends and  family over
for chili, Mrs. Veracruz's tamales and a good time.   As I sit at my computer
and reflect on the past year, it occurs tome that it has  been a very good
one.  We semi-moved into our almost complete  new/retirement home in March
and have been commuting here on the weekends in  preparation for somewhat
later permanent move.  This year has been a busy  one with a slightly modified
amount of time spent with my  photography.  Although I taught three classes,
attended a couple of  workshops and had images selected for three exhibits,
it was a  somewhat abbreviated schedule.

Both my wife and I turned in our official notification of our December 31,
2010 retirement date.  That is, with our company, like crossing the
Rubicon.  In preparation for that transition, I've changed my personalized
license
 plates from ""NSURIT" to "F 64."  Perhaps a little grandiose,  however "F
295" and a couple of others I though appropriate were already  taken and
"Freddy Flash" had too many letters.

As 2009 wraps up, I find myself completing my entry for the Krappy  Kamera
Competition with a somewhat different strategy.  This year I've  not sent
either pinhole or alt process images, but rather all silver gelatin  prints
made with either a Holga, a Diana or a flipped lens Brownie  Hawkeye.  We will
see.

Looking to the new year, I anticipate another good one.  First quarter  has
me finally getting my wet darkroom wet. It would have been wet last  year,
however a slight construction detail needed to be addressed.  Second
quarter will be a significant one with a project I'm not ready to go public
with,
yet, however will do so the first part of May.  Third quarter finds  me in
Santa Fe for an alt process workshop with Christopher James.  For any  who
have ever thought of doing a photo workshop, I can highly recommend you look
at Santa Fe workshops.  A beautiful part of the country and a very wide
variety of workshops.  Fourth quarter has us retiring and stepping into  that
next chapter of our life.  I do that with anticipation of its being  another
exciting adventure.  It will be so!

In 2010, I will continue to trot my stuff out in front of a public forum as
 that is part of what keeps me engaged in photography.  I invite each of
you, who has had an interest in doing so, to join me on the playing field.
It will make a difference in what you are producing.

The past few nights I have laughed myself to sleep reading from issue #83
of Lenswork, which is a special tribute issue with a collection of Bill
Jay's  writings.  I'm sure back issues are available.   He was a  hilarious
soul
. . . reminds me a little of the irreverence of our friend Walt  Wayman.
_www.lenswork.com_ (http://www.lenswork.com)  . It  is worth the price and
then some.

Wishing all a wonderful, prosperous, joyful and productive new  year.

Bill Barber