[OM] Nathan's PAD 15/12/2009: Nathan uses flash!!! Don't miss it, it is

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15/12/2009: Nathan uses flash!!! Don't miss it, it is the first time in years!!!
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:19:52 -0500
You had some nice ones there with the tools at hand under the
circumstances. I am not sure what the preflashes were that would be
corrected
by changing the AF.  I suppose the  AF assist lamp is the most likely
culprit.  The TTL flash metering would have the preflashes for metering
of course, but I can't see why changing the
AF would alter that.
Mike

It took me half the evening to
figure out how to eliminate the annoying bursts of flash before the
picture was
actually taken.
On a hunch, I set the AF to single point and all was well. It
is complicated and flash is generally  ugly. One of the two quizmasters
asked
me to take some pics for him with his Nikon DSLR (I was too drunk to
notice the
model). He had a 50mm 1.4 lens on it, very liberating to shoot without
flash at
ISO 1600.

Cheers,
Nathan