Re: [OM] IMG: 1929 Gulf Hawk Seen in 1972

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 1929 Gulf Hawk Seen in 1972
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:14:13 -0600
Piers,

I guess I have to go back to my roots as an aerodynamicist to explain what
seems to be a common misconception.  The pitot tube is a forward-facing tube
that accepts "ram air" as the aircraft moves through the air.  The faster
the aircraft, at a given altitude, the higher this ram pressure becomes.  It
is combined with a static orifice, either on the side of the pitot tube
installation or on the side of the aircraft, in order to provide the two
pressures necessary for an airspeed indicator to function.  The static
orifice also connects to the altimeter.

The venturi seen on older aircraft that have no powered vacuum pump merely
serves to provide a vacuum source to power the vacuum-driven gyro
instruments.  Many of these instruments are now powered electrically, or
from an engine-driven pump, so the venturi is basically a thing of the past.

And then there are the venturis that drain the relief tube, also a thing of
the past.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA