Re: [OM] [OT] Windows 7 Compatability

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Windows 7 Compatability
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:17:16 -0500
  Thanks for the advice guys. I purchased a new Compaq laptop a few months
ago when all the local stores were slashing prices in anticipation of the
release of Windows 7. It came with Vista but with a free upgrade to Windows
7. I did the installation last night and it went smoothly. They supply two
DVD's; one of which is the Windows 7 Advisor and the other the OS disk. The
install took about 3 hours but went without a hitch. Advisor recommended
that I uninstall some HP games and recommended a new keyboard filter (latest
Compaq driver fixed that issue). The version I have is the 32 bit Home
Premium, so no XP compatability mode. I've been reading however that 7 has
fewer problems with older software. In their efforts to make sure that
everything compatable with Vista would work with 7 they inadvertently made
it more compatable with programs that wouldn't work with Vista. So far they
have identified about 1200 programs that will run on 7 but not on Vista.
Sounds like someone at Microsoft screwed up big time. ;^)
  Tonight I will try installing PSE 4.0 and an XP compatable version of
Family Tree Maker. Neither of these would install on Vista so maybe I'll get
lucky.

Charlie