[OM] 5D I pattern noise [was 5D II pattern noise problem]

Subject: [OM] 5D I pattern noise [was 5D II pattern noise problem]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:10:42 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> Actually my first choice was a brand new 5D, I was hopping that the price
> would drop to $1500 when the 5D II available but it didn't. A brand new 5D
> early this year still cost $2000 in the shop while 5D II was $2500

At least one other asked about pattern noise on the 5D. And, of course,
this thread made me curious. I have yet to find it at ISO 200 or below.
Noise when pulling shadows way up, yes, but no pattern.

The shadow noise at ISO 800 does have a clear pattern. I did a bit of
testing on it. The image isn't anything much, mostly as I slightly
missed the focus without quite enough DOF. Also, I know it looks better
without the shadows dragged out in public - but they are the point of
the exercise.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/PatternNoise/5D800Pnoise.htm>

1. The whole frame at the ACR default settings.

2. The whole frame with ACR Fill Light +50.

3. A portion at full pixel, ACR default.

4. Neat Image using Auto Profile. Pretty nice job, but the slight
remaining noise still shows the pattern. Probably nothing to see in a print.

5. Neat Image with some settings changes. The noise is gone, but if you
look closely, like CH  :-)  , you will see a mottling of light and dark
still showing the pattern.

6. A further setting adjustment, activating Very Low Frequency and
upping the Low Frequency setting.  As far as I can see, there is now no
discernible pattern - at least without referring back to prior versions.

However, there is another disturbance in the force. Look at the blue
blob compared to the prior version. there is some subtle rearrangement
or loss of larger scale detail. I don't care here, as it's an OOF
highlight and softer is better. But it is something to be aware of when
playing with the low freq. settings. If it's a problem, it can be masked.

7 & 8. Here's a piece of the small in-focus portion of the frame, before
and after full NI treatment. As you can see, rather than any loss of
detail, the resharpening has actually made it sharper. That could be set
differently or the whole bright area could be masked from the NI effect.

Moose