[OM] how many megapixels here?

Subject: [OM] how many megapixels here?
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:06:06 -0400
See this photo

http://www.novascotiaphotos.com/frmpage/00269.html

Taken across water the camera is ~ 1.5 to / 2 kilometers from the buildings
in the distance.

The camera is digital, likely a DSLR.I have no information concerning the
focal length of the lens or the brand of the camera.

I have seen a framed print of this image. The exposed part of the print
measures 40" x 25". When viewed at 12" the level of detail in the entire
photo is simply amazing.

>From the photographer's web site, the gross measurements of the print appear
to be 48" x 22".

Every single window frame, whether a whole window or part of a window, is
clearly visible and discernable in the two storey sun lit building to the
left of the light house. Each segment of the light dome of the lighthouse is
clearly visible and discernable likewise.

Can anyone with experience of making big digital prints give an opinion as
to the possible megapixel size of the in-camera image from which this image
could have been taken. Would the Olympus E3 be capable of producing this
level of detail.

Just curious.

John Hudson

database 4651 (20091201) __________