Re: [OM] No Leonids here

Subject: Re: [OM] No Leonids here
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:49:28 +0100
Hi Dean, Ken, Charles and all

From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Conditions were ideal:  clear skies, no
>moon, no street lights.

Here, not all the sky was clear, but there was a large transparent patch. We
were reasonably far from street lights.

>But no meteors.  OK, three, in a bit over an
>hour.

Well, it's better than nothing. In fact, the test exposure (on digital!) I
made while setting up the gear, could record a few meteors: <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4124723287/in/set-72157622854866532/>

So far, the remaining pics on this gallery were just for fun... but I hope
the film cameras had recorded something interesting to add -- as soon as I
develop the rolls.

>Only excitement was when the police officer pulled in to see what
>I was doing.

Same here! BTW, just after the "Guardia Civil" left, we saw a spectacular,
slowly travelling meteor... of course, no shutter was open then :-(

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>I think the Leonids have worn out.  Poor things--year after year putting on
>this light-show for humans has got to be tiring.

LOL!

From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
>Would seen so this year. I got lucky about 10 years ago.

AFAIK, Leonids are much better each 33 years... and 1999 was one of those! I
could see over 200 meteors then, and captured on film quite a few (about
75). Lost the files on a hard disk crash, I'll have to dig out the slides
and rescan them some day :-(

>Nabbed this one
>exploding as it crossed the sky. OM-1 with 24/2.8 using Fuji 100 (I think).

No attachment here... but a wide angle isn't theoretically the best thing
for meteor showers -- the exposure of point light sources (like a meteor)
depends on the _absolute_ aperture of the lens, not the usual relative
aperture (the f-number). OTOH, teles cover a small area of the sky, and
nobody know where or when will the meteor appear...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)